Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hello World!

Learning is the most addictive activity one can engage in, next to making music.

I like to learn, a lot. 

I like to teach, a lot. 

I like to make music, a lot.     

My hope for this blog is to share some things that give me that tingly feeling...the "part of Harry Potter when he chooses his wand" feeling that comes with teaching. (I know, the wand chooses the wizard, but for the sake of sentence structure I had to make that concession.  Grammar be praised.)    

I aim to write and post about finding new tools to help your students learn as well as trends in: 
  • instructional design
  • coding
  • music education
  • something that solves a big problem in your personal or professional life.

I teach middle school music ( and Kindergarten music) in a certain approachable yet fast growing midwest city.  Yes, the barbecue is everything you've heard it is, and then some.  Yes, we have one of the best professional sports franchises in the United States.  We also have a football and baseball team, too.  We make beer, startups, tech incubators, Hallmark cards, chocolate, more beer, clothes, coffee and have a pretty kicking performance space in the Kauffman Center.  

All of these above things make me excited to be in education right now, I hope we can share the best parts of our teaching and help others help their students (both metaphorical and real) become addicted to learning.  Welcome to the party!  

Joe